Recent Posts

Friday, November 16, 2012

Bedroom Makeover

This post doesn't exactly fit in with Thanksgiving/Christmas decorations or vinyl signs, but another thing we love is home decor in general. After six years of living with hand-me-downs, I finally told my husband that I wanted to make our bedroom our own. So this last year, I have been working really hard to do just that and it is finally done!

My bedroom makeover was sort of like "Design on a Dime," the HGTV show where they redo a room on a $1000 budget in 2 days. Only mine took about $500-$600 total and about a year to finish. When my husband and I were married 7 years ago, we inherited a few things for our home. We were young (and poor...like so many newlyweds) and didn't have the money to buy what we would have really liked. We got a great deal on a head board/foot board from my sister-in-law and that worked fine...until we had our first child. Sitting in bed with a newborn up against a metal backrest was not very comfortable. I swore that one day I would make us a head board that we liked and was comfortable to lean against. This is what we had before:

I was so ready to get rid of our old head board that the only picture I could find was
the one we took to put it on Craigslist.
Then I made the one we have now. I knew I wanted a tufted headboard, so I bought all my materials and with my husbands help, we built this headboard:
A close up of the tufting
After our headboard was on, I did splurge and get us a new comforter set. Our old one was a down comforter with an old white duvet cover made out of two flat sheets...very low budget and not very pretty. So now we have this:


Another thing we inherited when we were married was his parents dresser set. They were given to his parents when they were married...51 years ago! So they were old, but still in great working condition. Since I am a DIYer and have the thought process that if it works, there is no reason to replace it, we kept them. Problem is, I thought they were hideous! I wanted so badly to sand and refinish them, but never had the guts to do it. They were my in-laws after all and it had been their wedding gift, not mine. How could I change them? Well, last summer I finally got the guts to do it. I asked my mother-in-law if she would be offended if I refinished them. Her response, "Oh heavens no!" Why hadn't I asked her sooner?! I don't know.

In the background, you can see the dresser in its original form.
Not terrible, but a bit outdated and not really my style.
My patio became my workshop.
My drawers halfway through the sanding process.
It took a while to do the whole refinishing process. Having three little ones trying to help made the process a bit longer and more difficult. But it was ALL worth it! I am so pleased with how they turned out. Originally I was going to get all new handles, but my hubby kinda liked the original ones so I ended up spray painting them. I think it was a good choice. They look great and we ended up saving at least $60 by not buying new ones.


After all the big items were finished, it was then time to add a few decorative items:
Artwork on canvas (I am no artist, but these were really fun to create
and they fit perfectly in our room)
Our "First Dance" lyrics tree and a photo of our first dance
Silver & white vases

And in case you don't want to scroll back through all of the pictures, below is a side by side comparison of the before and after.

So there you have it! Our bedroom may not be perfect or look like it comes from
a model home, but it is perfect for us! 





0 comments:

Post a Comment